Library card eligibility
Every resident of Portland is eligible to receive a library card from the Portland Library.
This card will allow borrowing privileges at most public libraries in Connecticut, through the Connecticard program. The card will expire three years from the date of issue.
A person who is not principally domiciled in Portland but who pays taxes on property in Portland may obtain a library card. This card shall be limited to use at Portland Library, in accord with Connecticard regulations.
Library cards for adults
2. A patron shall complete and sign a registration form, which will be kept on file at the library.
3. Patrons are expected to produce a library card for any borrowing of materials.
Patrons who do not have their library card in their possession at the checkout desk may be asked for picture identification and verifying information, such as telephone number, at the discretion of the staff.
Library cards for children
2. A child who is unaccompanied by a parent may be allowed a temporary courtesy privilege to borrow up to three items. A registration form will then be mailed to the parent(s) for a signature. The child will be given a permanent card when the parent or child returns the registration form.
3. As a courtesy to parents, parents of minors who are age 13 or over will be notified by mail after their children have received cards. The parents will have the option of canceling their childrens library cards.
Library cards for patrons who are not principally domiciled in Portland
3. Patrons requesting temporary library cards must, when registering with the library, provide their permanent address, in addition to their temporary address.
4. Patrons, with the exception of Portland property owners, whose permanent residence is in another town in Connecticut, must obtain a library card from their hometown libraries and use that card at the Portland Library. A patron who is without a library card and whose permanent address is another town in Connecticut may, at the discretion of the staff, be extended a one-time borrowing privilege. The maximum number to be borrowed using this courtesy privilege shall be 3 items.
Approved by the Library Board:
Last updated: 03/15/2011